Jul 27, 2007
Another tidbit I ran across: Rubber Souled - Beatles songs covered by your favorite Soul artists. From Stevie Wonder's funked out version of We Can Work It Out to a nightmare inducing Bill Cosby cover of Sgt Peppers. It is phree for download here.
Jul 18, 2007
Given that only two people voted spools and I am currently amidst a nomadic quest I voted "nay sharks, sneer your teeth in the direction of the tuna!" to the cassettes. In redemption, and out of obligation --for there is a responsibility accompanying a hypersonic mix-- warm up, sweat it out, and cool down with the finest of terry hugging your noggin. I hope you'll find your colour appropriate, and the mix a barrage of hurt on your fat cells. Eat your heart out Shaquille O'Neal.
Track 12 is a choose-your-own-artist. But seriously, if you really know who it is, let me know.
Jul 17, 2007
1. Into The Woods 5:21 My Morning Jacket Z 2005
2. Up Above The Sea 3:41 John Vanderslice Cellar Door 2004
3. Brain Damage 4:07 Roger Waters In The Flesh [Disc 2] (Live) 2000
4. So So Sick 1:55 Unrest B.P.M. (1991-1994) 1995
5. Not Like the Other Girls 5:46 The Rasmus Dead Letters
6. She's Losing It 2:22 Belle & Sebastian Tigermilk 1999
7. The Cask Of Amontillado 4:33 The Alan Parsons Project Tales Of Mystery & Imagina 1976
8. Mistaken Point 3:00 Flin Flon Boo-Boo 1999
9. Rocky 3:44 Butthole Surfers Hairway To Steven 1988
10. Creep/the blower’s daughter (live at Glastonbury 2004) 2:19 Damien Rice Q - Glastonbury Jukebox 2004
11. Decomposing Trees 4:06 Galaxie 500 On Fire [Bonus Tracks] 1989
12. The Great Escape 3:18 We Are Scientists With Love And Squalor 2005
13. I Wanna Die 1:49 Adam Green Friends Of Mine 2003
14. In Your Mind 3:46 Built To Spill Ancient Melodies Of The Future 2001
15. Mama's Room 3:55 Under the Infuence of Giants Under the Infuence of Gia 2006
16. Crazy (Gnarls Barkley cover) 4:15 Ray LaMontagne
17. Never Be OK 4:11 Versus Two Cents Plus Tax 1996
18. One Step Beyond 3:32 Madness Total Madness: The Very Best Of 1979
19. Red House 3:45 Shudder To Think 50,000 B.C. 1997
20. Wrecking Now 2:33 Guided By Voices Do The Collapse 1999
21. Tragedy 2:57 Young Love Young Love 2006
22. Things To Do Today - 1.) Try 4:00 True Love Always Hopefully 1998
Jul 16, 2007
Over the weekend I tagged a bridge which should be visible on Google earth the next time they refresh. Floating.
Just in case the rest of you didn't catch this tidbit across the tubes, here is a free (as in love) OK Computer tribute album from Stereogum. As one of my most beloved albums, I'm still quite surprised at how well it holds up through re-interpretation, deconstruction and recombination. From the 'Strung out on OK Computer' (string quartet cover) to the Easy Star All Stars dub interpretation - 'Radiodread', I love it all. So do try to enjoy this one. God loves his children. Yeah.
Jul 13, 2007
This Mix has been sent.
1. Minimum Wage -- They Might Be Giants
2. Hardwood Pews -- Horse Feathers
3. The Universe! -- Do Make Say Think
4. Am I Wry? No -- Mew
5. Sandstorms -- Viking Moses
6. A New England -- Billy Bragg
7. Big Bad John -- Jimmy Dean
8. Death In The Sea -- Bonnie 'Prince' Billy
9. That Summer At Home I Had Become The Invisible Boy -- The Twilight Sad
10. Dumb Animals -- Handsome Furs
11. Bermuda Highway -- My Morning Jacket
12. Welcome Home -- Radical Face
13. Lubbock Love Song -- Sleepy Horses
14. Damage -- Yo La Tengo
15. You Miss Your Candyman -- Terry Callier
Jul 9, 2007
Oh, excuses. But it's sent out. For reals.
This mix reflects a mix I made back in 2003. It was about midnight and I was making a mix CD in a fit of different emotions. I suddenly realized I'd been creating a driving mix and it struck me that I needed to get the hell out of Dodge City. As Rexburg is called sometimes. I got up, filled a duffel bag, grabbed a new loaf of bread from my roommate and a jar of PB and a jar of Jam, drained my bank account and started driving. I flipped a coin. Tails was south and I started driving. I listened to my Mix CD over and over until I arrived in L.A.
This is not the mix. This is just a tribute. I'm sure that mix would be a lot more melodramatic. I wouldn't put you through it. But it's got a lot of the same elements. Self-destruction, girls, anti-establishment, the push and pull of hometowns, and yes, melodrama, and a few covers in tribute of Darren's blog entry.
The first song is more of that feeling I get before I have to get up and leave. It progresses from there. Some songs are echoed feelings, most are lyric based.
1. The Horse You Ride - Department of Eagles
2. Walcott - Vampire Weekend
3. Damnit Anna - The Morning Benders
4. West Coast - Coconut Records
5. Anti-Anti - Snowden
6. Ghost on a Hill - Tenlons Fort
7. Runway to Elsewhere - Pacific!
8. Wet and Rusting - Menomena
9. Black Cab - Jens Lekman
10. Miss Idaho - Ox
11. Elephant Gun - Beirut
12. Home By Saturday - Hayden
13. Talking Crap About a Pretty Sunset - Modest Mouse
14. Strange Powers - Magnetic Fields
15. Heart It Races - Dr. Dog (Architecture in Helsinki cover)
16. Jealous Guy - Donny Hathaway (John Lennon cover)
17. Bye Bye Blackbird - Joe Cocker (Etta James cover)